Announcements

New Pattern Release:
Henry the Hedgehog now available!

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Acrylic Yarn

I know some people are going to think I'm crazy because I only use acrylic yarn. I started using it when I was young mostly because it was inexpensive. Over the years I have continued to use it because I honestly haven't had any serious problems with it. It's not perfect but really what is? Plus it's what most of my local stores offer. But I am open to working with anything so if any one has any suggestions please share!
   For baby yarns my favorite is Bernat Softee Baby. I love how soft it is and in most cases really shinny. The problem is that its not always the same so you have to be careful when buying it because sometimes its a thin yarn and others its thicker. When it comes in the thicker yarn its not shinny at all. The marled ones are always the thicker yarn so the blankets I make with those are not as pretty in my eyes as the others. They do have some nice baby colors to work with but its not a huge selection. Another Bernat yarn I work with is the Baby Coordinates. I use this only for baby blankets because I like the look it gives them. I don't use them for other baby items because I just don't like the look. I recently decided to try other brands because even though I really like the Bernat brand its always a good idea to try out others. You never know you might be missing out on something good. I liked the Red Heart Soft Baby Steps when I first touched it because It was so soft but when I started knitting with it I didn't think it was so soft. I do tend to knit pretty tightly so that might be the reason so I think I am going to try knitting with some bigger needles even thought I'm not to worried about it because usually after washing it will get softer. The last baby yarn brand I tried is the Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly Brand sold only at Michaels. This one didn't feel very soft at all but I decided to give it a try. I am working on a baby blanket with it and even though its not the softest yarn I do like the thickness of the yarn which is perfect for the blanket I am making and I hope after washing it will be softer.
          Moving on to other types of acrylic yarn not for baby items my all time favorite is Caron Simply Soft. Mostly because of how soft it is and second because there are so many colors to choose from. They have pastel colors, bright colors, and dark colors so its easy to find the perfect color for any project. I have used it to make hats, scarves, purses, pillows and even baby blankets. The only thing is that if you are into variegated colors you might have to look into other yarns because this brand doesn't have many of them. I also used Red Heart Super Saver which I don't like because of how rough it feels. Even though it does have a lot of yarn and comes in so many colors I rather get something softer. I so use it for making rugs though. Another brand that I really like is the I love this yarn sold only at Hobby Lobby. Its really soft and comes in a lot of colors. I only bought a few balls to try it out but I do like it a lot and it looks bulkier than the Caron brand so if that's the look you want definitely try this one out. The most recent yarn I bought was Vanna's Choice. I did like it because its also comes in a lot of colors and I like the way it knits up. This yarn has more color options and has heathered, tweed, and variegated colors. It is also soft even though I think I still like the Caron brand better. There are a couple other brands that I have heard about and what to try out but haven't gotten around to them yet so I will let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...